2.05.2010

Jakarta Arrival

I wrote this a week ago this evening, after arriving in Jakarta...

Times. Seasons. Promises.

Glory.

A discussion earlier today was centered around God’s revelation to “unreached” people groups. Does not having a Bible automatically mean that those millions of people have been going to hell for centuries? Is it consistent with Scripture to believe that God has revealed Himself somehow to them and given them opportunity to have faith in Him?

“The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows His handiwork…”

I settled down in my assigned seat on the Singapore to Jakarta flight, but soon realized that the huge plane was almost empty. I asked to change seats, and was soon stretching out my legs in an exit row on the opposite side of the plane. Green Singapore disappeared as the plane slowly rose into the clouds. Several minutes later a flash of light startled me. Out the tiny plane window, I saw a full moon glistening between clouds. I couldn’t believe how bright it was! I was mesmerized as a light fog muted its light, then softened the distinct roundness, and then made it disappear completely. Suddenly through the clouds is appeared again, warmly reflecting off the cloud base below and the aircraft’s metal wing.

I love watching the moon from my driveway, or when driving down the road. But flying made it a beautiful show—constantly changing. The flight attendant leaned forward to see the moon, but couldn’t see it. He shrugged his shoulders. “I was actually just looking out the other windows at the sunset.”

“Sunset?!” I asked. “Is the sun still up?!” I couldn’t believe the moon could be so bright if there was any light from the west. I leaned until I could catch a glimpse through the windows on the opposite side, and almost gasped. The entire sky was lit up with a stunning orange streaked sunset. It was incredible that two parts of the sky could be simultaneously showcasing such intense and perfect beauty.

Seasons. Promises.

Glory.

God promises us times and seasons. The impeccable cycle of the sun and moon are testimony to His plan for seasons. He also gives us seasons of life. Awing at the light of the full moon, I was struck by the perfection of God’s times and seasons, even at choosing this time to call Nana Jean to heaven. It’s perfect because it’s in His hands. Seeing His handiwork, revealing His glory day after day, reminds me of His purpose of these seasons—to glorify Himself and turn our face to gaze upon Him.

No comments: