9.05.2009

"I'd like to make an order, please."

"Hi, can I help you?"

"Yeah ... I'd like one Life GPS to go, please."

"Sure. Would you like ketchup with that order?"

"No, thanks."

I pay for this priceless jewel and drive away. It takes several moments to initialize. That's okay ... I've been waiting so long that a couple more minutes won't hurt.

The little screen lights up to show a colored map. With a happy sigh I see everything I've been waiting for: my life, in relation to everything in the world. Finally!

Wow, this is better than a Garmin! Not only is there one time for "Estimated Arrival," there are multiple clocks ticking down as I move.

"Estimated Arrival for Moving: ___"

"Estimated Arrival for Marriage: ___"

"Estimated Arrival for Kids: ___"

One thing I love is how accurate these are. It's good to know when to expect stuff like this. And finally: I have the satisfaction of chosing the route I want to take to each destination.

I should note: I'm not a good navigator. I know people who glance at a city map and are totally oriented no matter where they go. The thought of possessing this ability makes me sick, it's so foreign. So when I hear a voice speaking directions out of my new Life GPS, my heart absolutely sings. This is definitely my type of navigation!

I have never traveled so carefree. I fly along until the voice pipes up: "In two minutes, make decision to accept offer." I happily notice the speed shown: low maintenance.

Do you know how wonderful verbal turn-by-turn directions are in life? It even tells me ahead of time when to change lanes so I don't have to make last-minute decisions at an unknown intersection or merge.

If I ever wonder, I can check the screen and see how I relate to everything around me. No longer do I wonder about my relationships, efficiency or priorities--I can see it all.

One of my favorite features is the delay notification. Whenever there are conflicts or challenges ahead, my Life GPS lets me know and I can choose another route. I shake my head, thinking back over how much time I lost in the past, when I got stuck in those areas. Efficiency ... I'm personifying it.

I glance in my rearview mirror and see a sign: "Laura: acknowlege Me in all your ways, and I will direct your paths." I freeze and look back at my Life GPS screen. I can scroll through upcoming turns ... I can see estimated arrival times ... I can see the whole map.

"For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal" (2 Cor. 4:18). "The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord" (Lam. 3:25-26).

I had tried to forget what I paid for this Life GPS, but now it all came back to me.

Priceless, indeed.

For a chance at knowing my future, I had sacrificed trust in a sovereign God. For turn-by-turn directions, I had given up the quiet prompting of the Holy Spirit. For a way to avoid challenges, I had rejected the grace that Christ was offering.

I flipped the screen off ... and returned to the McDonald's menu.

"Yeah ... one iced coffee with cream, no sugar, please."

"Is there anything else I can get for you?"

"Nope. That's all."

"But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in Your hand" (Psalm 31:14-15).

2 comments:

becca said...

Wow. You have a way with words, Laura. I found it very moving. You have a gift!

Unknown said...

That is amazing. Thanks so much for writing it, I needed it!

Melinda