11.20.2008

Awake in His Likeness

"Men of the world who have their portion in this life ... they are satisfied with children" (Psalm 17:14).

What is my life centered around? What brings me satisfaction? I cringe at the thought of spending 70 years, spending my one life, on myself. To gain my portion, to my find my own satisfaction, and then die: O God, keep me from it! How could I find self-focused "satisfaction" in a few years on earth, when You are a God with no time? Your purposes span centuries, and yet You "fashion hearts individually." How could I gain a portion physically or mentally, when truth and reality show that the spiritual is primary?

If I'm not surrendered into the hand of the Creator of my life, the Potter of my heart, the Wisdom of my mind, the Redeemer of my soul ... my life is worth nothing. Anything good from my life will only be because God performed it. Nothing I do could contribute to God's spiritual purposes in the world, unless He is in it, has led me there, and is doing the work in and through me.

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I will be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" (Psalm 17:15).

Because Christ made me righteous through His blood, now I can see God. My satisfaction can't come from relationships, accomplishments, goals, hobbies or ministry. My life must be centered around being found in Christ's likeness. Only then will my life be worth anything ... because it's what pleases God. And in the end, He's the one who calls the shots on satisfaction, accomplishments, portions and rewards.

So if I'm not empty of myself and obsessed by Him - what is my life? O God, show me what the "extraordinary life" means to You.

No comments: